|Location||298 Hardscratch Rd, Yarmouth NS|
|Number of Positions||1|
|Job Start Date||ASAP|
|Job Competition Closes||When position is filled|
|Job Type||Part TIme|
|Salary||$16 + /hr depending on experience|
The Nova Scotia SPCA is seeking an experienced and dedicated RVT to join our team working in a fast-paced, high volume surgical environment part time. The Nova Scotia SPCA Yarmouths’ Dyke Family Animal Clinic prides itself on providing high quality veterinary and surgical services to the animals in its care while offering a low income Spay/Neuter assistance program to the public
The successful candidate will need to meet the following qualifications:
- Strong anesthetic knowledge and who can multitask (prepare, induce, premed, monitor and recovering multiple patients)
- Strong clinic pathology background to perform UA’s, fecals, cytology, (skin/ears), fna, pcvs and blood smears.
- Recognize and intervene on emergencies.
- The ability to follow protocols, and be comfortable working with pediatric patients.
- Assist with ordering medical supplies for surgical team and hospital.
- Administers medications
- Performs continual maintenance duties that include repairs and upkeep. Cleans all equipment and work areas to maintain the highest standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Follows health and safety regulations and protocols.
- Maintain accurate records for animal inventory, health, medications, treatments, procedures and behavior history.
In addition to the duties listed above, the SPCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the shelter; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; demonstrates exceptional customer service; communicates regularly with supervisor about issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; participates in events and on committees as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
Education; A Registered Veterinary Technician and a member in good standing with the NSVMA or equivalent work experience
- Animal welfare knowledge, Dog handling experience, volunteer relations, and computer skills are an asset.
- Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries.
- Ability to identify different medications and methods of administration.
- Ability to perform sanitation procedures and general maintenance.
- Ability to perform the SPCA’s basic medical intake process and other duties as outlined in SPCA Manuals
- Employee must demonstrate ability to work effectively with others (including co-workers, customers, volunteers and others) by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; and addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Employees must demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Driver’s license is an asset
- Requires frequent bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting, with some heavy lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift.
Hours of Work
Work week generally consists of Tuesdays and/OR Thursdays day time shifts, however this is subject to change based on the needs of the SPCA. Hours of work are between 8 and 16 hours per week.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. The Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office is located in Dartmouth NS. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org . It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s on immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote ” SPCA Yarmouth PT RVT ” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.