Location: 7 Scarfe Crt, Dartmouth, NS
Number of Positions: 1
Job Competition Closes: When position is filled
Wage: $18 to $21/hr
Job Type: Part time Casual, with after hours on call responsibilities
An Enforcement Officer is a Special Constable with Peace Officer status appointed by the Province of Nova Scotia who conduct comprehensive law enforcement investigations, contribute to public safety and improve the welfare of animals. Reporting to the Chief Provincial Inspector, you’ll play an integral role in supporting the Nova Scotia SPCA mandate to improve the quality of life for animals, as well as support partnering organizations in the Province of Nova Scotia in the fair administration of justice.
Enforcement Officer’s work may include the investigation and enforcement of laws at the municipal, provincial, and federal level as it pertains to animal welfare and the administration of those laws. This position will also focus on education and awareness through public interaction and work with community members towards voluntary compliance on cases that involve complex dynamics.
In the HRM and surrounding areas, along with conducting cruelty investigations, Inspectors maintain a strong community presence on First Nation Reserves and throughout the entire HRM area to ensure consistent monitoring and enforcement compliance with all animal control aspects. You’ll also enforce dog bylaws through patrols, evidence gathering, inspections and the preparation of necessary documents.
This is an excellent opportunity for experienced law enforcement officers as well as new officers with a desire to learn. This position requires strong inter-personal, communication and team work skills
FORMAL EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of Grade Twelve (12) or equivalent.
- Completion of recognized enforcement training is considered an asset.
- Training or experience in the safe handling of animals or dogs is considered an asset.
- Valid NS Class 5 Driver’s licence.
- Experience conducting investigations, in a legislative or regulatory manner is considered an asset
Knowledge and Qualifications/Skills required
- The ability to respond to client/public inquiries and complaints and handle sensitive and confidential information in a trusted and responsible manner
- The ability to travel and work flexible shifts, including evenings and weekends and be on call
- Medically and physically fit to work in all weather conditions (cold, hot, rain, etc) as this position may require bending, lifting and transporting animals in need.
- As your career progresses, you’ll be required to complete courses or training areas including but not limited to;
- Animal Protection;
- Search Warrants, Investigative Warrants and Arrest Warrants;
- Officer Safety, Use of Force and Defensive Tactics;
- Advanced Investigative Techniques.
- Providing dog Bylaw and Community Safety awareness, education, and prevention to the community and public
- Providing dog bylaw enforcement services on First Nation Reserves and throughout CBRM and surrounding Counties
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent computer skills , statement writing and preparing court documents
- Will require a clean criminal records check and be eligible to be appointed under Section 88 of the Nova Scotia Police Act by the Department of Justice.
- Candidates with previous experience in working with a First Nations are strongly encouraged to apply
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. SPCA provides a competitive salary and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to Jo-Anne Landsburg. email@example.com
Please quote “Enforcement Officer ” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.