Job Type: Permanent full-time
Location: Dartmouth, NS, CANADA
Job Title: Communications & Administrative Assistant
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: August 2023
Start date: As soon as possible.
Training provided, health benefits after 3 months.
The Provincial Communications & Administrative Assistant Position is a key member of the Nova Scotia SPCA and is primarily responsible be the liaison between the Nova Scotia SPCA and community members who are seeking assistance. In addition to being able to effectively solve customer issues, complaints and inquiries; keeping customer satisfaction at the core of every decision and behavior, Provincial Communications & Administrative Assistants will be responsible to support the administrative needs of the Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office Management Team and the College of Animal Welfare.
The primary duty of a Communications & Administrative Assistant is to receive calls for the Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office for SPCA Animal Shelter locations through the province, as well as from the public. This position also provides administrative support as needed for the Provincial office. This role is at the forefront of developing positive relationships with our communities to ensure that every person in Nova Scotia has access to our services and programs. Being a self-motivated individual, you will receive, resolve, and escalate calls in a professional and warm manner.
- Interview clients during telephone calls to obtain information useful in providing effective solutions.
- Proffer advice and recommendations concerning company services and programs.
- Manage inbound calls, emails, and messages to ensure effective and timely resolution of customer issues.
- Place outbound calls, emails, and messages to verify customer satisfaction and/or to educate the public regarding SPCA services & programs.
- Ensure compliance with set standards of customer service when conversing with clients.
- Assist customers in resolving issues with services & programs.
- Create and update customer profile/accounts to allow for easy resolution of customer problems.
- Operate computer and IT equipment such as switchboards, headsets etc.
- Escalate complex issues to more experienced call center operators for proper resolution.
- Inspect work equipment to verify they are in good working order; they also notify technicians in case of a malfunction.
- Maintain records of inquiries or complaints as well as logs of interaction with customers.
- Calm angry or frustrated customers and ensure their challenges or issues are addressed properly.
- Go the extra mile to build and maintain positive trust relationships with clients.
- Manage large amounts of inbound and outbound calls in a timely manner.
- Follow communication “scripts” when handling different topics.
- Provides administrative support to by providing reception services, processing mail, taking meeting minutes, filing, and preparing and proofreading correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
- Assists college by answering questions and providing information, locating desired information and materials, typing, collating, preparing and/or proofreading correspondence, and other material.
- Assists students by determining who can best provide information needed by the student, providing basic and initial assistance to students with questions about classes, registration, permissions, etc. using established guidelines (information in course catalogs, departmental and college documents, and established policies and procedures).
- Supports the work of the Nova Scotia Provincial Office by purchasing equipment and supplies, maintaining an inventory of office supplies, and utilizing the appropriate process to pay for goods or services purchased.
- Helps to organize and conduct departmental events, as directed, by securing, food, preparing invitations, announcements, agendas, brochures, and packets, and assisting with the event as it occurs.
- May assist with the collection of credentials and other required material during searches and/or collect scholarship applications and admission applications to competitive admission programs.
- Supports the administrative business functions of the Provincial Office by organizing the staff evaluation process, verifying, and processing student and part-time employee time records, scheduling the use of facilities, or meeting rooms, and maintaining the security of classrooms, labs, equipment, and records.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Provides support to various SPCA Programs as requested. Including but not limited to the Pet Pantry, Spay & Neuter, PUP, Paws and Support and TNR Programs.
- Assist with donor recognition and receipting. Responsible for conveying accurate and appropriate information to donors by phone or in person.
- Supports the department by performing all other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Encourage and support a positive team
- Support communication efforts by ensuring policy and procedure changes are communicated, clarified, and
- Identify and deliver performance management procedures to staff as needed.
- Assist in providing oversight and managing staff in the NS SPCA Communications Hub.
- Help lead key initiatives in partnership with community
- Build relevant and lasting relationships with community
- Work with Development team to ensure that we have appropriate fundraising content for appeals and
- Work with Provincial Leadership Team on various initiatives including the continued enhancement of revenue streams that align with our mission and improve our ability to support a greater number of animals in need.
- Understand the impact of financial and operational changes and demonstrate strong problem-solving skills on behalf of the animals, community, stakeholders with the Provincial Leadership Team.
- Work directly with those responsible for maintaining the shelter volunteer and foster based
Please note the Nova Scotia SPCA is committed to the principles of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in the hiring and support of our employees. Please advise us of any accommodation that you may require in your role that would ensure you are equipped and able to do your work and meet your needs as an individual.
- Previous experience in a customer support role.
- Strong phone and verbal communication skills along with active listening.
- Familiarity with CRM systems and practices.
- Customer focus and adaptability to different personality types.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, manage time effectively, work under shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic, willing to devote energy to a project.
- Excellent people skills with a professional approach to all interactions.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders including board members, volunteers, and donors.
- Experience working in a philanthropic environment is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with senior volunteers.
- High level of professionalism and drive, with an infectious enthusiasm and passion for delivering results.
- A valid driver’s license is preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Knowledge of Databases and navigating applications.
- Robust customer service experience considered an asset.
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends may be required, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is required.
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday is required.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 40 pounds
- Working conditions include working alone, working outside in varying weather conditions, frequent interruptions, and evening and weekend on-call work.
Hours of Work:
Work responsibilities require a standard 40 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
How to Apply:
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability.
The Nova Scotia SPCA provides a competitive salary and a rewarding work environment.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please quote “Communications & Administrative Assistant” in the subject heading in your email reply.