The Provincial Administrative Assistant Position is a key member of the Nova Scotia SPCA and is primarily responsible to support the administrative needs of the Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office Management Team and the College of Animal Welfare
Job Type: Permanent full-time
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Job Title: Provincial Office Assistant
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: August 3, 2022
Start date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Range $16.00 – $21.00 dependent on experience
The Provincial Administrative Assistant Position is a key member of the Nova Scotia SPCA and is primarily responsible to support the administrative needs of the Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office Management Team and the College of Animal Welfare.
$16.00 – $21.00
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides administrative support to by providing reception services, processing mail, taking meeting minutes, filing, and preparing and proofreading correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
- Assists college by answering questions and providing information, locating desired information and materials, typing, collating, preparing and/or proofreading correspondence, and other material.
- Assists students by determining who can best provide information needed by the student, providing basic and initial assistance to students with questions about classes, registration, permissions, etc. using established guidelines (information in course catalogs, departmental and college documents, and established policies and procedures).
- Supports the work of the Nova Scotia Provincial Office by purchasing equipment and supplies, maintaining an inventory of office supplies, and utilizing the appropriate process to pay for goods or services purchased.
- Helps to organize and conduct departmental events, as directed, by securing, food, preparing invitations, announcements, agendas, brochures, and packets, and assisting with the event as it occurs.
- May assist with the collection of credentials and other required material during searches and/or collect scholarship applications and admission applications to competitive admission programs.
- Supports the administrative business functions of the Provincial Office by organizing the staff evaluation process, verifying and processing student and part-time employee time records, scheduling the use of facilities, or meeting rooms, and maintaining the security of classrooms, labs, equipment, and records.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Provides support to various SPCA Programs as requested. Including but not limited to the Pet Pantry, Spay & Neuter, PUP, Paws and Support and TNR Programs.
- Assist with donor recognition and receipting. Responsible to convey accurate and appropriate information to donor needs by phone or in person.
- Supports the department by performing all other duties as assigned by the CEO.
In addition to having the ability to travel and a valid Driver’s license, the following are some of the skills required of a Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Administrative Assistant.
- Ability to multi-task and work under shifting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong work ethic, willing to devote energy to a project
- Excellent people skills with a professional approach to all interactions
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders including: board members, volunteers and donors
- Experience working in a philanthropic environment is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with senior volunteers.
- High level of professionalism and drive, with an infectious enthusiasm and passion for delivering results.
- Access to vehicle and valid driver’s license and appropriate auto insurance required.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Databases
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends may be required, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is required
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday required.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 40 pounds regularly.
- Working conditions include working alone, working outside in varying weather conditions, frequent interruptions, and some evening meetings.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard 40 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
How to Apply
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability.
The Nova Scotia SPCA provides a competitive salary with benefits and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to email@example.com.
Please quote “Provincial Administrative Assistant” in the subject heading in your email reply.