Job Type: Full Time
Location: New Minas, Nova Scotia
Job Title: SPCA Thrift Store Manager
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: October 9th, 2020
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: to be negotiated
Terms of Employment: Full time/ Permanent
The Thrift Store Manager works closely and reports directly to the Director of Retail Operations to lead volunteers, providing oversight and management of day-to-day operations. The Thrift Store Manager is responsible for recruiting, training/managing volunteers and staff at the SPCA Thrift Store, including the aspects of maintaining daily operations and a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers and security of operational functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Recruiting and training of new volunteers
• Creation of schedules for volunteers to ensure adequate personnel at the store to accomplish tasks and respond to customers.
• Maintain current knowledge of Society policies and procedures as they relate to personnel; monitor volunteers for adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure volunteers are in compliance.
• Report to Director of Retail Operations any staff, volunteer or concerns from the general public
• Provide timely direction and written and verbal feedback to volunteers
• Strategically think about store layout, sales and displays to increase sales throughout the year – following a retail calendar provided by Director of Retail Operations
• Keep up online presence through social media posts to promote the thrift store and SPCA mission
Store Management & Merchandising
• Oversee the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion.
o Processes include: sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to volunteers; uphold Society standards for merchandise and communicate same.
• At the direction of the Director of Retail Operations, assist in the implementation of written procedures for store operations, including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed
• Participate in training required by accreditation standards, plus performance and quality improvement efforts.
• Adhere to all Society policies and procedures
• Complete and submit all required and assigned paperwork in a timely and accurate manner
• Display merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store
• Complete end of day cash processes as outlined by the Director of Retail Operations
• Provide a high-level of service to customers according to standards and ensures volunteers follow same standards.
• Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the thrift store through volunteer training.
• Marketing and promoting SPCA Thrift Store sales, events and general on-goings
• Perform other duties as required
In addition to having a valid driver’s license, the following skills are required of a SPCA Thrift Store Manager:
• High School diploma, 1-2 years of retail/resale experience. Previous thrift or consignment store experiences a definite plus.
• Experience in working with and/or overseeing volunteers (1-2 years) consider an asset.
• Punctual, reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
• Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
• Demonstrated ability to serve customers in a professional, welcoming and efficient manner
• Experience with cash registers and ‘point of sale’ computerized sales & inventory systems (is an asset)
• Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees and volunteers to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the Society.
• Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
• Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of The Nova Scotia SPCA.
• Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
• Requires ability to stand up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
• Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 2 hours per day.
• Required to lift items 20-50 pounds and assist in 2-person lifts in excess of 100 pounds.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard 40 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. The Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office is located in Dartmouth NS. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to email@example.com. It is our intention to start reviewing resumes immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote “King’s SPCA Thrift Store Manager ” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.