Job Type: Full Time
Location: Kings, Nova Scotia
Job Title: SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: March 17, 2023
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: To be Negotiated and commensurate with experience
Terms of Employment: Permanent
The Thrift Store Coordinator participates in daily operations and a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers and security of operational functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Thrift Store Coordination & Merchandising
- Facilitate and ensure the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion.
- Processes include: sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to staff & volunteers; uphold Society standards for merchandise and communicate same.
- Assist in the management of thrift store inventory.
- Ensure processes for store operations are adhered to – including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash.
Thrift Store Volunteer Coordination
- Participate in the oversight and recruitment and training of a thrift store volunteer base that will support the operations of the SPCA Thrift Store
- Assist volunteers to ensure adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure volunteers are in compliance.
- Participate in appropriate consultation with volunteers on a regular basis, addressing concerns and sharing ideas.
- Assist in staff & volunteer training in Society policies, processes and procedures.
Society Messaging & Operations
- Collaborate and communicate with all Nova Scotia SPCA staff and volunteers to remain consistent in policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
- Complete and submit all required and assigned paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
Marketing & Promotion
- Ensure the display of merchandise inside thrift stores enhances the appearance and appeal of the store.
- Provide service to customers according to standards and ensure everyone follows same standards.
- Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the thrift store through staff & volunteer training.
- Use Society resources (financial and non-financial) prudently.
- Acknowledge and follow financial policies of the Society.
Perform other duties as required
In addition to having the ability to travel and a valid Driver’s license, the following are some of the skills required of a Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator.
- 1-2 years of retail/resale experience. Previous thrift or consignment store experiences a definite plus.
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Strong verbal, writing & organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to serve clients in a professional, welcoming, and efficient manner.
- Experience with cash registers and “point of sale,” computerized sales & inventory systems is a definite plus.
- Valid driver’s license and legally required insurance.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees and volunteers to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the Society.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of The Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Requires ability to stand up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 2 hours per day.
- May be required to lift items 20-50 pounds and assist in 2-person lifts in excess of 100 pounds.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard of up to 30 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. The Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office is located in Dartmouth NS. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to email@example.com. It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s on immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote “SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator – Kings“ in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.