Job Type: Part Time
Location: Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Job Title: SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: October 4, 2021
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: To be Negotiated and commensurate with experience
Terms of Employment: Permanent
The Thrift Store Coordinator helps to provide supervision, oversight and management of Society’s thrift store operations and volunteers. The Thrift Store Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, training & managing volunteers at the Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Stores, including the aspects of maintaining daily operations and a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers and security of operational functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate in the Recruitment, training and supervision a volunteer base of up to 50 people for the thrift store
- Expand foster volunteer base, ensuring proper administration, recruitment and retention
- Maintain current knowledge of Society policies and procedures as they relate to personnel; monitor volunteers for adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure volunteers are in compliance.
- Conduct regularly scheduled communication with volunteers to provide direction, guidance and oversight.
- Consult with volunteers on a regular basis, addressing concerns and sharing ideas.
- Provide timely direction and written and verbal feedback to volunteers.
- Assist in volunteer training in Society policies and procedures.
- Oversee the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion.
- Processes include: sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to volunteers; uphold Society standards for merchandise and communicate same.
- At the direction of the Provincial Director of Retail Operations & Branding and on-site Thrift Store Manager assist in the implementation of written procedures for store operations, including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed.
- Participate in training required by accreditation standards, plus performance and quality improvement efforts.
- Assist in the display of merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store.
- Provide service to customers according to standards and ensures volunteers follow same standards.
- Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the Animal Shelter & Thrift store through volunteer training.
- Use Society resources (financial and non-financial) prudently.
- Acknowledge and follow financial policies of the Society.
Perform other duties as required
In addition to having the ability to travel and a valid Driver’s license, the following are some of the skills required of a Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator.
- High School diploma, 1-2 years of retail/resale experience. Previous thrift or consignment store experiences a definite plus.
- Experience in working with and/or overseeing volunteers (1-2 years) an asset
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Strong verbal, writing & organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to serve clients in a professional, welcoming, and efficient manner.
- Experience with cash registers and “point of sale,” computerized sales & inventory systems is a definite plus.
- Valid driver’s license and legally required insurance.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees and volunteers to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the Society.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of The Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
- Completion of Grade 12 mandatory
- Requires ability to stand up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 2 hours per day.
- May be required to lift items 20-50 pounds and assist in 2-person lifts in excess of 100 pounds.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard of up to 30 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. The Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office is located in Dartmouth NS. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to email@example.com It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s on immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote ” SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator – Cape Breton“ in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.