Job Type: Full Time – 14 week Term
Location: Cape Breton Thrift Store – Sydney, NS
Job Title: SPCA Summer Thrift Store Coordinator
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: April 8th, 2022
Start date: As soon as possible
Terms of Employment: Summer position
The Summer Thrift Store Coordinator collaborates with the local thrift store staff and Provincial Director of Retail Operations and Branding to assist in providing oversight and support volunteers and thrift store operations. The Summer Thrift Store Coordinator is responsible for assisting in recruiting, training & managing volunteers at the Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Stores, including the aspects of maintaining daily operations and a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers and security of operational functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate in training of new volunteers
- Support thrift store management staff in to accomplish day-to-day operations
- Maintain current knowledge of Society policies and procedures as they relate to personnel; monitor volunteers for adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure volunteers are in compliance.
- Report to SPCA oversight staff any concerns of volunteers or the general public
- Provide timely direction and written and verbal feedback to volunteers.
- Assist in volunteer training in Society policies and procedures
Store Management & Merchandising
- Assist in the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion.
- Processes include: sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to volunteers; uphold Society standards for merchandise and communicate same.
- At the direction of the Provincial Director of Retail Operations and Branding and the on-site manager, assist in the implementation of written procedures for store operations, including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed
- Participate in training required by accreditation standards, plus performance and quality improvement efforts.
- Collaborate and communicate with all Nova Scotia SPCA staff and volunteers to remain consistent in policies and procedures regarding item and volunteer solicitation.
- Adhere to all Society policies and procedures
- Complete and submit all required and assigned paperwork in a timely and accurate manner
- Assist in the display of merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store.
- Provide service to customers according to standards and ensures volunteers follow same standards.
- Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the thrift store through volunteer training.
- Assist in marketing and promoting SPCA Thrift Store sales, events and general on-goings
- Perform other duties as required
In addition to having a valid driver’s license, the following skills are required of a SPCA Thrift Store Summer Coordinator:
- Successful candidate MUST be enrolled to attend post-secondary education or returning to study in the fall of 2021 – this is a requirement of this government funded position
- High School diploma, 1-2 years of retail/resale experience. Previous thrift or consignment store experiences a definite plus.
- Experience in working with and/or overseeing volunteers (1-2 years) consider an asset.
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to serve customers in a professional, welcoming and efficient manner
- Experience with cash registers and ‘point of sale’ computerized sales & inventory systems (is an asset)
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees and volunteers to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the Society.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of The Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
- Requires ability to stand up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 2 hours per day.
- May be required to lift items 20-50 pounds and assist in 2-person lifts in excess of 100 pounds.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard 35 hours per week.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. The Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office is located in Dartmouth NS. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our intention to start reviewing resumes immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote “SPCA Thrift Store Summer Coordinator – Cape Breton Thrift” in the subject heading in your email reply. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.